Spring is a season of renewal and rejuvenation, so it's a great time to apply these concepts to your home. You likely already have some ideas about spring cleaning, but there are lots of other ways that you can refresh your apartment just in time for spring. Here are a few great tips for cleaning out the winter mess, breathing new life into your space and getting organized for the warmer season.
1. Switch out your bedding. Instead of using the same bedding all year long, switch out your heavy down comforter with something lightweight and soft when it gets warm outside. Try linen sheets, a cooling mattress pad or a lightweight quilt instead of a comforter.
2. Let the light in. Replace any heavy drapes or curtains with window treatments that are sheer and breezy to maximize the natural light.
3. Place plants in your space. Both indoors and out, plants add a breath of fresh air (quite literally!) to any space. Invest in some plants to place in your windows and your home will instantly feel refreshed.
4. Change the color palette. If your space normally has a lot of neutrals, you might try adding some fun throw pillows, patterned rugs or other textiles in brighter pops of color.
5. Take out the trash. If you notice a lot of mail, magazines, toiletries or other junk accumulating in drawers and closets, now is the time to rid yourself of the clutter. Recycle or donate what you can, and take the rest out with the trash.
6. Clean out your clothing. Pack away the heavy winter garments that you won't wear until next year, and then go through the rest of your wardrobe to donate what you never reach for.
7. Create a soundtrack for your home. Do you have a way to play music in your home? If not, now's the time to get one! Having a bluetooth speaker, a stereo or a record player is a great way to create a good vibe throughout your space.
8. Set yourself up for entertaining. If you've often wished that you could entertain more, spring is a great time to set your space up with the essential supplies for hosting guests. Invest in extra sets of dinnerware and glasses, round out the seating in your living area or even spruce up the guest bedroom for out-of-towners.
9. Create a workspace. Whether you work from home every day or just occasionally, having a reliable desk or other workspace is essential. Take an afternoon to organize your work area and watch as your productivity increases.
10. Rearrange your furniture. Your furniture might not be working as well as it could be, and you might not even realize it. Take stock of the rooms in your home and rearrange anything that feels too cluttered or like it's just not functioning how you'd like it to.
If you’re getting a little tired of your go-to pizza joint, there’s good news: the beloved Matchbox restaurant just opened a new location right in the Downtown Silver Spring Shopping Center. Matchbox is known for their perfectly baked brick oven pizza, but there's so much more to this chain that you have yet to try.
The restaurant has an industrial vibe, with vibrant brick walls, rustic wood furniture and vintage decor you’ll want to snap a photo of. There’s even a large patio with seating that’s perfect for Matchbox's summertime happy hours, which run from Monday through Friday from 5 to 7 p.m. The menu here has a little bit of everything for every occasion. Whether you’re looking for a casual meal with a simple cheese pizza for two or a bit of a splurge on a gourmet filet mignon with crispy potatoes, Matchbox is your spot. One highlight you won’t want to miss is their weekend bottomless brunch, deemed Brunchbox, when they serve up an unlimited number of small plates, mimosas, and bloody marys on Saturdays and Sundays. Once you go the first time, you won’t be able to wait to go back for more.
The head brewers at Silver Branch Brewing Company don’t favor any one approach to beer-making over another. They draw inspiration from the brewers of Belgium, Britain, Ireland, Central Europe, and the Americas, all in equal measure. That much should be obvious the second you see their list of house-made beers.
The flagship brews include a Czech pilsner, an American IPA, a witbier, and a tropical stout. The lineup represents the four major brewing cultures that inspire the team at Silver Branch Brewing Company. Come and grab a pint of one of the flagship beers in the open, airy tasting room, filled with high-topped tables and ample amounts of light. You can also savor a seasonal beer or a collaboration with another brewery. Chips, beef jerky, and popcorn are a few of the snacks Silver Branch serves, along with non-alcoholic beverages such as house-made soda, coffee, and tea.
If wine and pasta sound like the building blocks for a perfect evening, head to Olazzo on a Monday night. That’s half-price wine night at the Italian eatery. Order a bottle to share with your dining companion — or come on Tuesdays for $6 martinis — and enjoy Italian cuisine along with it.
Start with a few appetizers (which are conveniently $2 off during happy hour), such as the fried calamari, the bruschetta, or the mozzarella garlic bread. Then, devour penne smothered with marinara sauce and crowned with house-made meatballs or spaghettini tossed with olive oil, garlic, Roma tomatoes, and fresh basil. Try the gnocchi duck bolognese, house-made ricotta gnocchi with duck ragu, or the saffron risotto alla mare with shrimp, clams, mussels, and squid. You can also enjoy a fully loaded salad at Olazzo, like one topped with meatballs or chicken parm.